Saturday, May 8, 2010

Twice-Baked Potatoes

I'll be including two versions -- one that I just whipped up for supper and the one I normally use when I want to make the effort. The second one is from The White Recipe Book (my name for the compilation of recipes my friends and I made) and contributed by Jen Wolfe.

3 medium sized potatoes

1 slice of fried bacon, finely chopped
1 Tbsp red onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup cheese, shredded
3 Tbsp Miracle Whip
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

I cut long slits into the potatoes where I would be cutting them open when they're done. Easier than trying to stab a raw potato with a fork. I microwaved the potatoes on the "Baked Potato" setting, so I can't even tell you how long they were in there. I let them sit in the microwave for a while and when I could handle them, I cut them open.

In the meantime, I chopped and shredded the other ingredients and mixed everything together.

To scoop out the potatoes, I use a teaspoon and I try to leave a thin layer of potato in the skin to help it keep its shape. I was able to mash the potatoes into the other mixture with a spoon. Fill the skins with the mixture.

I put them on the grill to heat while the meat was barbecuing. They were nice and warm and had that grilled taste to them. I found them on the bland side, but it was nice because the store-bought skewers we had were super salty.

Here's Jen's version:
6 medium potatoes
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup light mayo
1/2 cup hot milk
1/4 cup powdered cheddar cheese product
1 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/8 tsp pepper

For garnish:
chopped chives
chopped green onion
grated cheddar cheese

Pierce potatoes in several spots. Place on a rack in a 400 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes until tender. To test for doneness, insert sharp paring knife into center. Cool until able to handle. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp into medium bowl, leaving a thin coating on the skins to form a shell.

Add next 8 ingredients to potato pulp. Mash well. Stuff shells. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes to heat through.

Garnish with chives, green onion, and a light sprinkle of cheese just before serving.

Makes 12 stuffed potatoes.

Notes:
To make ahead: Prepare and stuff potatoes early in day or night before. Cover. Chill. To serve, bake as above.

To freeze: place stuffed potatoes on baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour. Wrap partially frozen potatoes individually in foil. (I'd suggest spraying the foil with cooking spray to prevent it from sticking.) Freeze for up to 4 months. To serve, thaw and heat wrapped potatoes in 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment