Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Popsicles

Okay, this is going to be a heap o' spaghetti (for those familiar with the Men Are Like Waffles, Women Are Like Spaghetti book). Last summer, my friend Christal (Giesbrecht) Barkman emailed me this recipe. It was one of those recipes that I've made many times (lots of years ago) but I don't have on file anywhere and I had completely forgotten about it. Christal and I were neighbours when we were kids and we made and ate these all the time! She says the recipe was from my Grandma Schmidt, someone who wasn't related to us but she was our nanny the first five years after my Mom got sick. Now she is someone I need to write a blog entry about! Anyway. Not an ounce of healthy in here, unless you count the water.

1 pkg kool-aid
1 pkg Jell-O
1/2 to 1 cup sugar
2 cups boiling water
2 cups cold water

Mix Kool-Aid, Jell-O and sugar in boiling water until dissolved. Add cold water. Pour into popsicle holders and freeze.

Notes:

The trick to getting the popsicles out of the mold is to run hot water over the outside of the container. You'll see when the popsicle releases from the container if you grab the popsicle handle and give it a gentle twist.

Made a batch of cherry popsicles this week with 3/4 cup of sugar and it's SO sweet! I'll try 1/2 cup next time.

3 comments:

  1. most delicious popsicles i've ever had!!! :) i really have to get out and buy some popsicle molds!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christal, Superstore often has popsicle molds for really cheap in spring/summer.

    Kristin, definitely worth a try!

    ReplyDelete