Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pancake Fruit Syrup

I can only handle pancakes once in a while, even though Johan and the kids eat them every single Saturday. Part of my dislike is because I can't stand the idea of pouring sugar sauce over something, much less a food that's already almost entirely unhealthy. Of course my kids could hardly stand it, but I think that's mostly because it's a change in routine, not because it tastes so bad. Besides, if they love fruit smoothies, they would also like this.

1 cup of frozen fruit (I used 4-Berry Blend by President's Choice)
1/2 cup of water

1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp corn starch

I cooked the fruit until it was thawed and softened. I used my hand blender to get rid of the chunks and to mix in the corn starch. Then I added the sugar. I let it cook a little longer until it started to thicken a bit.

Johan and I ate it on pancakes with banana. No syrup. So delicious!

The kids had a little bit on their pancakes, but with lots of syrup, and no bananas.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite pannycakes are vegan multigrain with real maple syrup, bananas and pecans. Sometimes I'll have them with peanut butter and a bit of honey or jam. There are ways to make them more healthy, but it can be tricky sometimes to get kids to eat it.

    ReplyDelete