Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Cinnamon Pull-Aparts

Having left my women's Bible study potluck contribution to the last minute, I only wanted to use ingredients I had in the house. I just halved my cinnamon/raisin bun dough recipe, so that's why some of the conversions are weird (like "1/4 Tbsp"). This is what it ended up as:

1 1/4 cups warm water
1/2 Tbsp yeast

1/6 cup oil
1/4 Tbsp salt
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar

4 cups flour

1/4 cup pecans, chopped

1/2 cup butter, melted

1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon

Glaze for topping:
1 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup milk (probably a bit less)
2 Tbsp butter

I didn't let the yeast rise when I initially added it to the water. I mixed everything together, kneaded it by hand, and added about another 1/2 cup of flour while kneading.

Mix together the second amount of sugar and cinnamon.

In a 9x13 pan, I added a few tablespoons of melted butter, a sprinkling of the chopped pecans, and a sprinkling of the cinnamon and brown sugar mixture. I used a clean scissor to snip little pieces of the dough and dropped them into the pan. The pieces were the size of a loonie. When there was an even layer of dough on the bottom of the pan, I sprinkled in a bit more of the butter, pecans, and cinnamon/sugar. I kept layering it until the dough was done; three layers.

I covered it with plastic wrap and left it on the counter over night.

In the morning I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and baked it for 20 minutes. My oven is very hot, so you may want to increase the temperature to 425 and bake for a few minutes longer.

While it was baking, I made the glaze by mixing the icing sugar and milk with a fork, then I mixed in the softened butter. I microwaved it for half a minute to melt it all together. It's quite runny. As soon I pulled it out of the oven, I poured the glaze over it.

Notes:

If I had enough raisins in the house, I would have added 3/4 cup raisins (rinsed, soaked in hot water, drained before adding to the dough).

September 23, 2011: Made these again tonight. Delicious! I stirred the brown sugar into the melted butter and then heated it again so the mixture is smooth, and the sugar is dissolved. It makes it more caramel-y. I dropped each piece of dough into the butter/sugar/cinnamon topping, so each was coated. Don't know if much is gained by doing it that way instead of pouring it over the dough pieces in the pan. I made it in a Bundt pan today, so I turned down the heat to about 300 or 350 degrees and baked it for about 40 minutes. It was thoroughly baked through the center. Yum!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thankj you a lot for your recipe. I lived in Argentina and i'm staying in an apartments for rent in buenos aires,. I will try to find those ingredients to prepare them!

    ReplyDelete