Friday, May 28, 2010

Rice Krispie Caramel Squares

This recipe is from my step-sister, Trish Klippenstein.

8 cups Rice Krispies
1/2 cup butter
2 x 250g mini marshmallows

14 oz caramels (Kraft), about 50
1/4 cup butter
1 can condensed milk

Start caramel mixture first, melting the three ingredients together in the microwave.

Make Rice Krispie squares by melting butter and marshmallows together. Keep 100 g marshmallows aside to be added on top of caramel layer.

Press 3/4 of the Rice Krispie mixture into a 9x13 pan.

Spread melted caramel, add remaining marshmallows.

Top with remaining Rice Krispies, keeping hands quite damp to prevent it from sticking to hands.

Cool in the fridge to allow ingredients to set.

Notes:
I prefer the original brand Rice Krispies cereal and not store brand.

I melted the 3/4 cup of butter that is required for this recipe, which I don't think I've done before. I tossed the mini marshmallows in the 1/2 cup of melted butter before microwaving it. This really helped with preventing the marshmallows from sticking all over the inside of my bowl.

I only needed to microwave the marshmallows for 2 minutes before they were ready to mix with the cereal. You're going to want a huge bowl to mix this. I used my biggest Tupperware bowl. I don't know what it's called, but it's giant; one of the biggest bowls they sell.

1 comment: