Friday, June 4, 2010

Rice Krispies Squares (plain)

I need a simple snack for piano recital tomorrow, and what's easier than Rice Krispies Squares. (I'm talking about the plain ones, NOT the caramel ones.) I went to the Kellogg's website to get the original recipe.

3 Tbsp butter
4 cups mini marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal

So many people on the website commented that they don't like to use the microwave because the marshmallows end up tasting like burned plastic. How long do they leave it in there? If I had to do this on the stove, I might never make it again. What a pain. Here's what I've discovered.

Melt the butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Add the marshmallows and toss them until thoroughly coated in butter. This is the key to not having a bowl completely gummed up and sticky. It's also easiest to use a silicone spatula for mixing. I microwaved the marshmallows for one minute, maybe a minute-and-a-half. Stir until it's smooth. Add a teaspoon of vanilla at this point, if you like the taste.

Stir in the cereal. When it's mixed, dump it into a 9x13 pan (I prefer glass) and press down with wet hands. People on the website were saying they used buttered wax paper and would re-butter if necessary. Again, what a pain!

I'd say even with washing the bowl, I must have done this whole process in about five minutes. That would never happen if I melted the marshmallows on the stove.

1 comment:

  1. So easy! Mike likes them topped with a peanut butter/caramel sauce and melted chocolate chips. So good and very addicting!

    ReplyDelete