Saturday, June 19, 2010

Carrot Cake Ice Cream

You know that fancy little Ciao! magazine you get in the mail every couple of months? The one with all the seemingly overpriced shops and restaurants? This recipe comes from one of those, back from August/September of '09.

Candied Carrots
2 cups diced carrots
2/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp corn syrup
2 cups water

Spiced Pecans
1 cup pecan halves
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt

Crown Royal Cranberries
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 Tbsp Crown Royal

Base
1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
1/2 8oz package light cream cheese, softened
zest of 1 lemon

Candied Carrots
In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine all ingredients. Bring to a slow boil and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes until carrots are translucent and syrup reduces.

Spiced Pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, combine all ingredients and spread onto an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes until toasted. Cool completely and chop roughly.

Crown Royal Cranberries
In a bowl, combine all ingredients and set aside.

Base
In a stand mixer, combine ice cream, cream cheese, and lemon zest. Whip until blended.

Drain cranberries and add to mixture.

Add pecans and carrots and beat gently.

Yield: 6 servings

Notes:
I've never had cranberries in carrot cake, so that needs to go. I don't use Crown Royal or the cranberries in this recipe.

I've made this once with diced carrots and today I made it with shredded. I didn't prefer the chunks from having them diced. I'm much happier with it today having used shredded because it becomes almost like a paste when it's cooked down.

When you cook it down, be sure to keep going right to the end when there's no liquid left at the bottom of the pot. When I made it the first time, I thought it would thicken as it cooled. It didn't.

Instead of chopping the pecans after they're baked, I like to chop them, then toss them in the coating, then bake them. More surface area for the coating to stick to.

I didn't double anything other than the amount of ice cream. I used two pints instead of one. I'll keep you posted how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment