Thursday, June 3, 2010

Caramel Sauce

Once again, this is from the white recipe book, contributed by Daphne Thiessen. I love it for waffles. Here are her thoughts: I like this recipe because the creaminess comes from adding cornstarch instead of using lots of cream. Serve this with ice cream and bananas.

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup half-and-half
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp corn syrup

1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Stir sugar and cornstarch together. Add cream, water, and syrup. Stir until smooth.

Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Serve warm or cold.

Notes:
I had to cook it for a little longer than 2 minutes, although I may have been a little hasty in deciding when it was boiling. I also wanted it to be quite thick for the layer in the Frozen Peanut Butter Turtle Pie I was making.

No comments:

Post a Comment