Saturday, January 19, 2013

Gluten-free

I want to be very clear that when I'm talking about gluten-free, I am NOT the 100% GF that is required for those that are on a Celiac diet. If you want info on that, and for a huge variety of GF recipes, you'll want to look at:


(Jeanine at The Baking Beauties is actually Mennonite too, so Mennonite Girls really CAN Cook! LOL! And she's originally from Altona, too.)

Back in December, we started to go gluten-free as a family. I've been hearing for years that GF is potentially very helpful for people on the autism spectrum and for people with ADHD. One day, after Ella was running laps in the living room and bounced from sofa to sofa, I thought it would be worth a try to see if she would slow down a little. 

And, to make things even more fun, we also went dye-free :) People very commonly have a reaction to artificial dyes and in kids it can potentially lead to hyperactivity.

Even with Christmas, all of the candies and treats and baked yummies, I still believe she's been more calm since making these changes. Time will tell how much of an impact this can have. Keeping in mind, I believe that some people, like Ella, were never meant to live life with two feet firmly planted on the floor :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment