Saturday, January 19, 2013

Oatmeal Cookies

My first attempt at a gluten-free adaptation of a recipe and it worked! Again, this is from the white recipe book, and it's a very nice, basic cookie. Oatmeal is always comforting and perfect for coffee or tea. I like to make these cookies little.

Sift together:
1 cup flour (to make it GF, I dumped 1 cup of oats in the blender until they were powder)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Add and beat until smooth:
1/2 cup brown sugar (I didn't add this amount)
1/2 cup soft shortening
1 egg, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp water (yes, that's correct)

Stir in:
1 cup oatmeal

Shape into balls and flatten on baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.

Notes:
One of the times I made these cookies, I used 1/2 cup of applesauce to replace the shortening. I found it was too sweet (sweetened applesauce) and the texture was too tough. I wouldn't replace more than half of the shortening with applesauce.
Added 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment