Saturday, January 14, 2012

Taquitos

"Deceptively Delicious" refers to these as "Tortilla 'Cigars'". Not sure why a mom would want to refer to a kid-friendly food as "cigars". Seems like a lack of judgement, so taquitos it is! Very yummy with "Avocado Spread". Jessica Seinfeld says, "These are very popular at our house. They pack well for picnics or lunches on the go because they can also be served cold. For a vegetarian meal, leave out the chicken or turkey."

1 cup sauteed or roasted chicken or turkey, cubed or pureed
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar or American cheese
1/2 cup yellow squash puree
1/2 cup carrot puree
4 ounces reduced-fat or nonfat cream cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 large (burrito-size) whole-wheat tortillas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with aluminum foil or parchment paper.

In a large bowl, stir together the chicken or turkey, cheese, squash and carrot purees, cream cheese, garlic powder, and salt.

Cut the tortillas in half. Place one half on the work surface with the straight edge facing you. Spread about two tablespoons of the filling along that edge from one side to the other. Starting at the edge, roll the tortilla into a cigar shape, completely enclosing the filling. Place seam-side down on the baking sheet. Stuff and roll the rest of the tortillas the same way.

Bake until the tortillas begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

Notes:
First, can we just talk about this reduced-fat or nonfat business? I think it was more of a trend at the time this book was written, because the stuff I'm hearing now says the flavour that is lost by reducing the fat is replaced by sugar or salt. This isn't good! Decide what you want to do in your household.

I bought already-roasted chicken. This would be great for turkey leftovers!

I didn't have squash, so I did carrot only. I added a little of the water I had boiled the carrots in to allow it to blend into a very smooth puree, but then allowed it to drain through a coffee filter and colander. I also added a couple of tablespoons of yellow onion in the carrot puree for extra flavour.

I doubled everything, but didn't measure anything :)

I didn't use cream cheese, but rather sour cream in the approximate equivalent amount.

I put the taquitos on a baking stone, which worked well. I baked them for 8 minutes at 450.

If I had made these with corn tortillas, I bet they would have tasted just like the store bought ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment