Saturday, January 14, 2012

Rice Krispies Squares with Flax

I have to give credit where it's due: this is BASED on a recipe from "Deceptively Delicious", but I think it's one of those times when you just modify a recipe that's already a tried-and-true household favourite! My Rice Krispies Squares use 1/4 cup butter and the "DD" recipe only calls for 1 Tbsp of margarine with more marshmallows than I normally use. Less butter, more marshmallows. How will this NOT turn into a rock??? So, I took the concept, not the actual recipe. I'm posting my RK squares recipe, which is in the white recipe book :)

1/4 cup butter
9 oz large marshmallows, about 35 (5 cups mini)
6 cups Rice Krispies (I usually do more, like 7 or 8)
1/2 tsp vanilla

DD modification: add 1/4 cup ground flax

Put the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Zap it for 30 seconds, or until it's melted. Use a silicone spatula to coat the entire inside of the bowl with the butter. Your clean up will be faster if you do this!

Add marshmallows. Microwave for 1 minute at a time, stirring after each minute, until the marshmallows are mostly melted. (Total microwave time is often 2 minutes.)

Add vanilla, then Rice Krispies. Stir well until all of the cereal is coated. Dump the cereal into your 9x13 pan. Press down firmly using a dampened spatula or your dampened hand. Chill about 2 hours before cutting.

Notes:
Oh my word! It takes longer to type out the recipe than it does to make it!!!

I use a coffee grinder to pulverize my flax. Grinding the flax seems to double the volume, so if you want 1/4 cup ground flax, put about 1/8 cup not-ground flax into the grinder.

Other variations:
1) add colored sprinkles after pressing it into the pan.
2) Use Cheerios or a combination of the two cereals. Very tasty with Apple Cinnamon Cheerios.
3) Use Lucky Charms.

No comments:

Post a Comment