Sunday, January 8, 2012

Aloha Chicken Kebabs

The first of hopefully many recipes I'll try from "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld. Here's what the book says, "Crunchy and sweet -- an unbeatable combination for kids. You can leave out the coconut if your kids don't like it, but once the chicken is cooked, the coconut is very hard to see."

1 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1/4 cup pineapple puree
1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 large egg white, slightly beaten
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken tenders, rinsed, dried, and cut into "fingers"
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp all-purpose or whole-wheat flour
Nonstick cooking spray
1 Tbsp olive oil
10 to 12 short wooden skewers

In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the flaxseed meal. Set aside.

In a second, wide, shallow bowl, combine the sweet potato and pineapple purees, soy sauce, egg white, and coconut, and mix with fork; set next to the breadcrumbs.

Thread the chicken fingers lengthwise onto skewers, using one skewer per chicken finger. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken skewers with salt and then with flour. Dip the chicken into the egg-white mixture and then roll it in the breadcrumbs until completely coated.

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil.

Add the chicken in a single layer and brown for 3 to 4 minutes on one side, until the breadcrumb coating is crisp and golden. (Turn down the heat if the coating browns too quickly -- coconut burns easily.) Turn the skewers and cook 4 to 5 minutes longer, until the chicken is cooked through and browned all over.

Notes:
The store was out of flax, so I did without. I'd like to try it next time though because I love anything with flax!

I didn't have the sweet potato puree on hand, so I skipped it.

I'm not sure why she wants only the egg white and not the entire egg, so I used both.

I'd like to try it with sweetened coconut too. It has a very distinct flavor and I think it's the coconut the kids are tasting and saying they don't like :( Johan is saying it's already sweet.

Mixed reviews from the five of us, but I think this will be a keeper when I tweak it for our tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment