Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cheese Stuffed Manicotti

Another new favourite from The White Recipe Book. If you haven't heard me rave about it, it's a collection of recipes compiled by a group of women from Fort Garry EMC. It's better than Google or Pinterest. 

This one was contributed by Daphne Thiessen.


She notes that this recipe will fill 8 oven-ready manicotti shells or 20 - 25 cannelloni shells. (I used a PC brand of manicotti, which was the same size as the cannelloni, and I was able to stuff the entire pack of pasta.) 

Filling
2 eggs
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp parsley
Salt, pepper
300 g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

1 1/2 to 2 jars of your favorite pasta sauce
Cream (it makes the tomato sauce a bit more mellow)

Mix filling ingredients and stuff pasta. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Pour enough sauce into pan cover bottom. Arrange stuffed manicotti on sauce. Pour over remaining sauce. Top with additional grated cheese, if desired. Bake 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly.

Serves 4

Notes:
I tossed all ingredients into a large freezer bag. I smushed it around and it quickly combined. I snipped a small corner off and squeezed it straight into the pasta.

I didn't see the instruction on the package saying the noodles needed to be cooked first. I realized this after 25 minutes of baking uncovered. I added a cup of hot water, covered it with foil, returned it to the oven for 30 minutes. It cooked beautifully without getting mushy. 

This would be even better accompanied by a crisp, fresh salad!

It would also be tasty with alfredo sauce, or even a cream of mushroom sauce!

It could easily be a potato or rice dish as well.

Update, May 27, 2014:
I put the leftovers into a glass loaf pan with extra sauce, covered it with foil, and popped it into the freezer. I let thaw in the fridge for 24 hours, then reheated for 30 minutes, covered. It's almost identically delicious as the first day I made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment