Saturday, May 24, 2014

Strawberry "Cinnamon" Buns




I used the bun dough recipe from cinnamon buns with mashed potatoes but since I halved the recipe, I'll write it out.

Bun dough:

1/2 cup mashed potatoes

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/3 cup softened margarine
1 egg beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups flour (approximately)

Mix all ingredients, let rise for 1 hour in a warm, damp spot. (Inside the microwave works well, with a mug of steaming water.)

Filling:
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup strawberry jam

Combine ingredients in a pot or microwave safe bowl. Summer until berries are thawed. I didn't want chunks of fruit, so I used a hand blender to smooth it out. If it's too thin, simmer a bit longer. 

Glaze:
2 Tbsp strawberry mixture
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup milk

I mixed this in the same pot I used for the fruit mixture, not to simmer it but just to warm it a bit. Pour over buns as they come out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment