Thursday, May 31, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

This recipe is from Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. Great recipe book to incorporate veggies and/or fruit into recipes. I highly recommend this book! As usual, I'll write the recipe as originally written, and then I'll add my variations at the end. I made these for a Mary Kay get together last night, and everyone seemed to enjoy them, especially Ella.

nonstick cooking spray
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

3/4 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
6 Tbsp trans-fat free soft tub margarine spread, chilled
1/2 cup banana puree
1/2 cup zucchini puree
1 large egg white
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray, or line with cooking parchment.

In a bowl or zipper-lock bag, combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and shake or stir to mix.

In a large bowl, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon until just combined; do not overmix. Add banana and zucchini purees, and the egg white, and stir just to blend. Add the flour mixture, raisins, and walnuts, if using, and stir to combine.

Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonsful onto the baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch in between. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 4 to 5 minutes, just until they are firm enough to handle, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Notes:
I didn't have whole-wheat flour, so I used white.

I normally reduce sugar in recipes, but since this was the first time I made this specific recipe, I left it at 3/4 cup. Next time I'd cut back to 1/2 cup, maybe even a bit less.

I used butter. 6 Tbsp comes to 0.375 cup, so that's just over 2/3 cup.

I didn't have zucchini, so I did extra banana instead.

I didn't have eggs in the house, so I used ground flax seed. (1 Tbsp ground flax, soaked in 3 Tbsp water)

I rinsed the raisins in hot water a couple of times before putting them into the batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment