Sunday, July 17, 2011

My "Leanne's Not Willing To Make An Effort" Cold Rice Salad

I like to call recipes exactly what they are... so that's what's up with the name there.

Refer to "Brown Rice" recipe for instructions. When the rice is done, allow it to chill.

Then mix:

1/2 cup Miracle Whip

a generous Tbsp of Tupperware's Southwest Seasoning
2 tsp cilantro (I used frozen, so it'd be the same amount as fresh)

Add this to the Miracle Whip mixture:
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup of good quality frozen peas
1 cup of good quality frozen sweet corn
salt to taste

Allow flavors to blend for a few hours. Serve cold.

Notes:
I would have liked to add a few more things like black beans, lime juice, maybe avocado (but it probably would brown too easily). Even chopped tomatoes would be good.

I found this seasoning to be nice and spicy, with a little sweetness to it. I'd love to find a similar make-from-scratch recipe for this flavor of seasoning.

2nd day: good flavor, but could be a bit more flavorful for my preference. GREAT cold as a side to BBQ steak!

1 comment:

  1. The lime juice would help stop the avocado from browning, but you'd still probably want to just slice it fresh on the salad just before serving. You should go to bulk barn and try out their chipotle powder, that would give it a nice, smokey, spicy kick I bet!

    ReplyDelete