Friday, July 8, 2011

Oatmeal Muffins

I'm on a total muffin kick right now. This one is from the white recipe book.

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 white sugar
3/4 brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup hot water

3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix oatmeal and hot water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix everything together and fill muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

Notes:
This gave me a dozen average sized muffins and a dozen tiny muffins (the bite sized ones).

3/4 cup of two kinds of sugar??? Yikes! I cut it down to 1/2 cup of each and they're still more than sweet enough! I'd even cut it down a bit more.

I didn't want to use up the last of my butter, so I split the 3/4 cup of butter: half was melted butter, half was oil. Worked out well.

Chocolate chips could be added to this recipe too.

This recipe can be changed to Chocolate Chocolate Chip Oatmeal muffins with these basic changes:
1) reduce flour to 1 1/4 cups
2) add 1/4 cup cocoa
3) omit brown sugar
4) use 3/4 cup white sugar
5) add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
6) omit cinnamon

My oven bakes very hot so I baked it for closer to 20 minutes. Actually it was 18. So adjust your baking temperature and time according to what you know is best for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment