Sunday, June 19, 2011

Cream Cheese Sheet Cake

I can't believe I haven't shared this recipe yet! Well, no time like the present! This is absolutely perfect for summer! It's from the white recipe book, contributed by my friend Daphne Thiessen. It's officially a pineapple cake, but I like to play around with recipes. I'll write the original and then check out the notes section for changes. Daphne noted: This cake freezes well and is, in fact, great served frozen on a hot summer day.

Cake:
1 box vanilla cake mix
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs, separated
1 cup water

Topping:
1/2 cup butter, melted
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1 tin crushed pineapple, drained well

For cake:
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Combine all other ingredients, including egg yolks. Mix well. Fold in egg whites and spread in greased jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool completely.

For topping:
Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in icing sugar. Fold in whipped cream and pineapple. Spread on cake and keep chilled, or freeze, until serving.

Notes:
This is where I love to have fun. I generally don't do the pineapple. Mostly I've left out all fruit and put fresh raspberries on top.

The variation I did today was to add the zest of a lemon in the cake batter and replaced 1/2 cup of the water with 1/2 cup of lemon juice. Then I put the zest of a second lemon in the topping. It's not very lemony; I could handle a little more lemon, but it's still good! It'll be great frozen!

What I've wanted to try, but haven't yet, is to make this as a chocolate cake. How great would that be! I'd like to try a chocolate cake mix with chocolate pudding, and then possibly adding a little cocoa into the topping. Personally, I wouldn't prefer to include any type of fruit, but that's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment