Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Potato Salad

Red Skinned Potato Salad
www.allrecipes.com

I didn't like potato salad until I found this recipe.

2 lbs new red potatoes, clean and scrubbed
6 eggs
1 lb bacon
1 onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 cups mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and set in the fridge to cool.

Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel, and chop.

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly browned. Drain, crumble and set aside.

Chop the cooled potatoes, leaving skin on. Add to a large bowl, along with the eggs, bacon, onion, and celery. Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste. Chill for an hour before serving.

Notes:
I'm wondering if there's any point in posting the original recipe if I basically do it my own way anyway.

Hard-boil the eggs first because they need the most time to cool off. I like to cool them by putting them back into the fridge for a number of hours before using them.

I don't use an entire onion, probably more like half of a medium sized onion. I also use three stalks of celery instead of the one suggested in the recipe. We like celery in stuff.

This recipe fits nicely into the Pampered Chef trifle bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment