Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ham Steak with Apricot Glaze

There are a number of things I automatically think of in Low German, and schinken fleisch is definitely one of them. Normally I throw it in the oven or in a frying pan and it's plain. This week I decided to try to make it a little more exciting.

Grilled Ham Steak
Allrecipes.com
Contributor: Taste of Home magazine

1/4 cup apricot or plum preserves
1 Tbsp prepared mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 (2lb) 1 inch thick ham steak

In a small saucepan, combine the preserves, mustard, lemon juice and cinnamon. Cook and stir over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Set glaze aside. Score edges of ham. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each side, brushing with glaze during the last few minutes of grilling.

Notes:
Tasted okay. Not wonderful. The kids loved it. I wish I would have left out the cinnamon, which I'll do the next time I try it.

I had my barbecue on really low heat hoping to prevent the meat from burning, drying out, and having the glaze burn. I should have had the heat at medium because it took a long time and the glaze didn't get sticky like I thought it would.

There was a little glaze left in the stainless frying pan I was using, so I tossed in a little butter and coated the cooked carrots with it. Thumbs down. I didn't think it tasted very good and both the girls didn't prefer it either.

What was interesting is I made Mennonite cream gravy in this same frying pan and there were some glaze remnants. Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment