Wednesday, February 8, 2017

PMDD

There's PMS and then there's PMDD.

On one hand, you've got your standard irritability, mood swings, increased emotions. The number of days each woman is affected by symptoms varies, but the average would be about seven days.

And then there's PMDD. 

PreMenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. (Dysphoria meaning anxiety, unease, mental discomfort. The opposite of euphoria.)

It's like The Hulk with PMS. The symptoms are more intense, to the point of causing significant disruption to life, both for the woman, her significant other, and family. 

It becomes disabling.

This has been my experience. For two weeks out of every four, my outlook on life and interaction with the world changes dramatically. I feel deeply discouraged, hopeless, overwhelmed, and possibly the worst part: rage. From zero to Hulk in one second. I try not to plan things during these two weeks because odds are, I'll ruin it and/or have very little capacity to enjoy the activity. I want to, or feel like I need to, stay in bed for two weeks. Not due to deep depression, but to avoid small annoyances that trigger me and to reduce how overwhelmed I feel by life. 

But don't misunderstand me. I'm not suicidal. There are definitely women that do feel and become suicidal with PMDD, but I don't. 

Both PMS and PMDD are caused by hormone fluctuations, and in my opinion, both can relate in part to the foods or beverages we ingest. I find avoiding coffee helps me feel much calmer. I've been drinking black tea, which includes some caffeine, and I'm trying to switch to just plain hot water, so we'll see what happens with that. 

So then, what can be done?

I am taking medication for it, but I'm not convinced it's very effective. And I don't like the side-effects.

What has been very effective is a vitamin buffet including B6, Vitamin D, rhodiola, magnesium, calcium, and L-Theanine. When I got to my "that's enough!" moment, with research, I took B6 and felt better within a couple of hours. There are days it seems the vitamins don't help as much, but by far, they are helpful and fast-acting.

Routines have been a saving grace as well. I might not feel like doing the necessary daily tasks, but I know how long each job takes and I can get through most of them a few minutes at a time. I can make supper because I've prepared a meal plan and stocked my kitchen with what I'll need.

Daily exercise makes a big difference too. 

I went alternative this cycle: Chinese medicine. I have felt as close to normal as I have in... who knows how long! I've had acupuncture every few days and gulped down a lot of Chinese herbs. Thankfully, our insurance covers it, but at the rate I'm going, I will use up my year's allotment of coverage next month! 

From what I've read, the only guaranteed relief from PMDD is to have a hysterectomy and remove the ovaries. I think there must surely be a better alternative! I'm not prepared to consider it as an option at this point. 

Okay, so why am I sharing this information with you? Nearly two years ago I heard a woman share her experience with PMDD at a women's event and she has been a tremendous source of information and support for me. Hearing her story validated that this was in fact a disorder and not a character flaw. If her journey helped me, I have the responsibility and privilege to pass the information along.

If you think you might have PMDD, here's a tracker that might help you:

For additional information, read the Mayo Clinic (reputable, world-renowned) site:






No comments:

Post a Comment