Monday, November 16, 2015

Cottage Cheese

I love making things from scratch. If I am already making the effort to make perogies, I may as well make the cottage cheese as well! My friend Annie Sawatzky taught me how to make it. (She really needs her own recipe blog! She is so talented!) This recipe couldn't be easier!

1- 4 liter jug 3.25%milk 
1 liter buttermilk

Heat on high until it starts to simmer and froth starts to form on top. Turn heat as low as it will go and stir for 20 minutes.

Make sure it doesn't cook; only heat until it separates.

Drain through a strainer lined with a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth. Let drain for several minutes and squeeze out remaining liquid.

Notes:
I tried a different recipe yesterday that used skim milk plus 3/4 cup vinegar. It worked very well. I think I goofed though because it came out looking like melted cheese and formed a large ball. I ran it through the food processor until it was crumbly and tasted excellent in the perogies.




No comments:

Post a Comment