Friday, August 13, 2010

Baked Mashed Potatoes

We had the privilege of hosting our pastor couple, Layton and Glenda and their kids for supper tonight. I wanted to do something simple but delicious. I made the Black Bean and Corn Salad II (allrecipes.com) and the Mexican Grilled Chicken (allrecipes.com). It all turned out great and the three dishes worked well together. And of course we enjoyed the time with our friends!

This dish is from the white recipe book and was submitted by Audrey Friesen.

4 large potatoes
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cottage cheese
5 green onions
1/2 cup crushed crackers

Cook potatoes and then drain. Add the milk, salt, 1 Tbsp butter and beat until light and fluffy. Fold in the eggs, sour cream, cottage cheese, and green onions. Put in a dish and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Mix the crackers and remaining 1 Tbsp butter and put them on the potatoes for the final 10 minutes of baking.

Notes:
I doubled the recipe, but I must have done 12 or 14 medium sized potatoes.

I didn't use the crackers on top because I don't generally prefer a crumb topping.

I mixed the egg into the cottage cheese/sour cream mixture to avoid chunks of cooked eggs in the potatoes.

I made two pie plates full of mashed potatoes and three loaf pans full for the freezer. Hopefully they freeze/thaw well.

No comments:

Post a Comment