Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Baked Burger Melt

This is where I live; taking on-hand ingredients and making a meal of it. When it comes together like this, I'm so humbled and grateful to God for giving me the ability and enjoyment from it.

This is all so approximate...

Burgers:
2 lbs ground beef
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 of a large onion, chopped finely
1/4 water
1/2 cup bran

Fried Mushrooms:
10 mushrooms, sliced
1 red pepper, thin strips
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

Burger toppings:
tomato, sliced
green onion
cheese, shredded

Mashed potatoes:
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup milk
s+p to taste

Smoosh all the burger ingredients together, form burger patties. I put it on a baking sheet that I had greased with bacon fat (oooooh, this is getting SO Mennonite!) I baked it for maybe 30 minutes.

In the meantime, I fried up the mushrooms (again in bacon fat) and at the end of the frying time, I tossed in the red pepper and a clove of garlic. At the end of the baking time, I put the mushroom/pepper combo on top of each burger, and then piled shredded cheese on top. I put it back in the oven till it got melty.

I made mashed potatoes, added a little sour cream, butter, warmed milk, and salt and pepper while mashing. I made a little schmaunt fatt (cream gravy) to top the potatoes.

And then, I sliced tomato and chopped green onion and put these on top of the burger melt right before serving. (So the tomato and green onion were cold.)

No comments:

Post a Comment