Saturday, January 10, 2015

Banana Cake

Baking muffins is not a skill I possess. Well, I can bake them, just not so they turn out! This recipe is just right for me; it can be mixed a lot and it still turns out soft and moist.

This is from one of my top three recipe books: the Valley Mennonite Academy recipe book that I got as a wedding shower gift in 1999 from my Aunt Anne and cousins Joanne and Laura. The recipe contributer is my Aunt Kathy.

1 cup banana pulp
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup milk

Icing:
1/4 cup margarine
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup banana pulp
Yellow food colouring, optional

Beat first five ingredients together; add dry ingredients. Mix well. Add milk. 

Bake in 9x13 pan or as cupcakes. 

Icing: beat well.

Notes:
I baked these at 350 for 20 minutes.

I used coconut oil instead of shortening.

I added 1/4 cup flax (it was 1/4 cup before I ground it which became nearly 1/2 cup) and reduced flour... BUT I just turned the pan in the oven and they look flat, so I'm realizing I should not have decreased flour. Silly mistake! 

January 13, 2015: swapped apples for banana and added 1 tsp cinnamon. I reduced sugar by 1/4 cup. Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment