Sunday, May 12, 2013

Asian noodle crunch salad

I have the privilege of choosing anything I wanted for supper tonight and this is what I decided I wanted. I found this at http://www.food.com/recipe/crunchy-noodle-salad-award-winning-136834
And of course I made a few changes. I'll post the list of ingredients as found in the original recipe.

1 x 12 oz bag of coleslaw mix
2×3 oz Oriental-flavour instant Ramen noodles
1 bunch green onion, chopped
4 oz sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
4 oz slivered almonds, toasted

1/2 cup vegetable or sesame oil
1/3 cup white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Here's how we made it:
1 tablespoon onion finely chopped
Mix oil and vinegar, I forgot to add the sugar
Add flavour package from Roman noodles

We used sunflower seeds instead of almonds. Heat 1/2 cup sunflower seeds with 3 tablespoons white sugar over medium heat, until sunflower seeds are toasted and caramelized. Spread on a  glass plate to cool.

Add dressing to coleslaw, let sit for flavors to blend. In the meantime, fry up some chicken, or meat of your choice.

Right before serving the salad crush up the Ramen noodles and sprinkle over the salad. If you haven't already eaten all of the candied sunflower seeds, now would be the time to add them. 

I didn't need sugar because of the candied sunflower seeds. I used yellow onion instead of green onion. And we did sunflower seeds of the almonds.

I wonder if I could maybe have done a little less oil in the oil and vinegar ratio.

No comments:

Post a Comment